Sunday, January 15, 2012

Illustration Salon


In early February a few of my watercolours will be traveling further abroad to feature in the annual Children’s Book Illustration Salon held in Poznań, Poland. Fellow Győr illustrator Farkas Zsuzsi and I were selected to represent Győr and Hungary at the Salon with roughly 4 illustrations each, relating to the children’s story written by Janusz Korczak titled“I. Matykó Király” in Hungarian, (or the original Polish version: Król Macius pierwszy, Nasza Ksiegarnia, Warszawa, 1955.) The Poles are renowned for their high quality Children's Book Illustrations, so this is a wonderful opportunity for us! (edit: Apparently, I might get to go!)

In English, the story title would translate perhaps as “King Matty I.” and it is the story of a young prince who suddenly becomes King at the passing of his father. I’m desperately reading snippets for inspiration, as we do not have very long to complete the illustrations themselves, seeing as the Salon will be held between the 3rd and 5th of February! Hopefully I will squeeze in a quick photo shoot with my young muse early this coming week so that I can get to work!


The size specified is a little larger than I have ever worked on. Since my desk is not big enough to accommodate this scale, I’ve moved my “workspace” to the wall beside my bed. Now I can truly say I just stay in bed all day!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I read that book when I was around 10-ish and I loved it.

    Congratulations, it sounds like a great opportunity! Good luck with your drawings.

    ReplyDelete

Oh! How did you know? I absolutely adore comments, thank you! :-) I appreciate all the feedback I get xx