Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Progress on Cerceruska

The next illustration I decided to work on was the tale of "Cerceruska". Cursed by her stepmother, Cerceruska and her litte sister flee to the woods. Not heeding her sisters warning, the younger one gets thirsty and drinks from a little pond - where a deer had drunk before her. The curse takes place and she is transformed into a deer. Cerceruska protects her as best she can, and when a handsome young hunter (who also just happens to be a prince, lucky for her) happens upon them she begs him to spare the life of her little deer sister.


The beginning sketch...


I always block in the largest areas first, or the background if there is one...



With so many little details, it is good to get the most time consuming parts of the piece done first...


I lefther hair till very last - usually I leave the skin and eyes, but this time I wasn't decided whether I wanted to leave her hair snowy white, or colour it.....

At the end of a long day of drawing and painting, this is how far I got on my little Cerceruska...


2 comments:

  1. All of your new work is looking amazing mon- the way you've done the dress on this piece is great, I want to see it up close!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your new pieces are looking wonderful! Looks like you've gained some major inspiration from the trip. The detail in the dress is amazing! I can't wait to see more upcoming pieces! Also, I've been really enjoying the prints I purchased from you a few months back. They fit perfect in my home :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh! How did you know? I absolutely adore comments, thank you! :-) I appreciate all the feedback I get xx